Friday, January 8, 2010

Hi everyone and a happy and successful 2010!

As promised last decade, I'll describe how I created the christmas-trees in my last post.

The question here was: how do you put objects onto a path and have them maintain a constant distance from each other? In AutoCAD (and most other CAD-programs) there are functions that let you draw a path and then have it either divide up into x segments or into a number of segments with the distance of y from each other. Unfortunately, Revit does not have a function like that.

...or does it?

The trick is to use railings and balusters for this.

How?

Well, here goes:


This is what we had.

First I created the object I wanted to have placed (a tree in this case, but it could easily be street lights). To do this I created a family ( R > New > Family ) using the Baluster-Post template.


This I imported into the project. I then went ahead and created a new Railing-Family-Type and selected my tree (boom in Dutch) as Baluster. I was now able to select the distance between the instances by setting the Dist. from previous setting to 3 meters.

All the other balusters I left blank.

Note that the Base is set to Host and that I inserted a positive Top Offset. This is neccessary to be able to remove all hand rails from the family-type. ( Type-Properties > Rail-Structure )

I then drew the path for the railing.



And that's it.

Railings let themselves be used in quite a few interesting ways. Be creative and try a few!


Credit for getting me onto these tracks are due to Eric Wing, who held a great lecture at Autodesk University last year. I followed it online and was very impressed. Kudos to him!

1 Comment:

  1. Matthew said...
    Wood is not necessarily a finite resource, but certain kinds have gotten more rare. These are some of the same kinds many homeowners want most for their outdoor projects.

    balusters

Post a Comment