Thursday, February 4, 2010

I am currently working on redesigning an existing building. I have the drawings so I went ahead and set the whole thing up in Revit.


In order to start the designing process, I wanted to make an in-place mass and export this to the Conceptual Mass editor. So I started my mass, gave it a name and started modelling.

But when I tried to export it, I found no way of doing so. I tried via grouping it and exporting the group, exporting as a family, and a few other "official" ways.

So I figured, what the heck. I'll do it quick and dirty: copy & paste!

Surprisingly this worked, but only with a little trick. When I tried to copy the entire mass, it wouldn't work. But when I just grabbed the volumes I had created within the mass, I could paste them in the conceptual mass editor.

Or, to be more clear, this is what I did:
  1. create an in-place mass in a project file (Ribbon > Massing & Site > In-place mass), give it a name and start editing
  2. once done with the forms within the mass, copy the forms by selecting and pressing [ctrl] + [c]
  3. R > New > Conceptual Mass, select the conceptual-mass template and open
  4. [ctrl]+[v]
Now you have your in-place mass in the conceptual-mass editor and can play around as much as you like.

3 Comments:

  1. Ppppppp said...
    good tip, Cheers
    Mark Randa said...
    Good morning Oliver, I ran across your blog via a Google alert. Great Blog, and good luck with the Revit learning curve (I’m just starting).
    Could I ask a favor of you? I would appreciate if you would take a look at some BIM structural fasteners I created and comment on them. I work in Autodesk Inventor, and have been asked by clients to create BIM content from the models I make for them. I have a set of their fasteners (large screws) on my website, If you would be so kind as to take a peek:

    http://opendesignproject.org/BIM/FastenMaster/index.php

    The Inventor versions are single iLogic models that represent an entire line... I wasn’t sure if that was possible in Revit, so I converted the Inventor files for the Revit versions. A critique would be appreciated, and help yourself to the files if they are any use to you. Have a great day…

    P.S. I added your site on my links page under Revit., hope it will drive some traffic your way.
    Oliver said...
    Hi Mark,

    I've taken a look and I think that you are really taking the BIM-idea as far as it can go. I am very impressed.

    I would propably not go quite that far myself and limit the connectors to simple lines in 2D details, for two reasons. One: when you try to model everything in 3D in Revit, Revit slows down quite badly. Two: I'm an architect and do not actually have to build the project myself. :)

    And thanks for the link.

Post a Comment