Tuesday, September 21, 2010

We are in the process of designing a ronded building with an all-glass extgerior. This leads to the situation that an interior wall needs to end at a glass panel. Revit presents with this solution:

Hmm. Not what I wanted.

The solution that I came up with is a bit of a workaround, but it gets the job done.

First I created a new, very thin wall.
Not that the material I used is the same material that covers the interior walls. That way mt schedules will still be correct and the result in the renders will also look nice. (Or render-program Artlantis uses the Revit materials as the base for its own images).

I then drew the thin wall at the angle that the interior wall was supposed to be fased at (parallel to the existing Curtain Wall):

Having done this I cleaned up the result with the Trim tool and adjusted the length of the thin wall:

And that's it. Job done.
Nice.

3 Comments:

  1. Michail Golubjev said...
    What about using an in-place wall void to cut the wall?
    Anonymous said...
    What about a simple wall reveal??

    Saves the inplace void and the new wall.
    Oliver said...
    Thank you for the comments. Here's my thoughts on the matter.

    @Michail:
    Void forms seem to only work on the other objects within the in-place family, not on the wall itself. (Or at least I could not get the to...)

    @Anonymous:
    There are two issues with this.
    One: I would have to create a different profile for each wall to match the curtain wall. And when the wall(s) move, I have to adjust for that in a very roundabout manner.
    Two: the outer and/or inner wall covering will not wrap around the end, making it look weird on our render software.

    But hey, "Many paths lead to Rome" as they say. So continue to throw ideas at me so I can learn new ways of doing things as well.

Post a Comment